Monday, March 18, 2013

Top Ten Movie Countdown Blogfest

To Alex's blog

Hey all! I'm finally making a come-back after finally putting the stomach bug in its place. Thanks so much to everyone who left good wishes. I truly appreciated them.

But now, time for some movies. I only have a rough idea about what's in my top 10, so I won't be numbering them. It's odd, I know, but I don't have favorite books either. My reasons, as silly as they may be, are in green.

Inception
Just because the writing, plot, characterization, everything worked together just like. Oh and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. 

Tombstone
"I'm your huckleberry." Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday is probably my most favorite movie character of all time. Just watchin him in the movie makes me want to write. 

The Untouchables
For inspiring my approach to conflict management. ;-) In case you're wondering: 
"You wanna get Capone? Here's how you get him. He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue! That's the Chicago way, and that'show you get Capone!" 

Seriously, though, probably the most to the point but efficient film speech I ever heard. And if I'm remembering right, Sean Connery improvised it.

Dark Knight
The Joker.
Enough said. 
Brrrrrrrr.

Unstoppable
Because the train eventually feels like an evil entity. And because those guys put themselves into so much danger because no one else was there to stop the train. 

Hunt for Red October 
Even though the Cold War is over, there's enough info in the writing to pull me into the world at the edge of nuclear fall-out. And make me care about how it turns out in the end. 

Even though I watched the movie about 6 years after the iron curtain went down. 

and its (sort of) sequel Executive Decision. 
Not in the same class, really. But Steven Seagal did something amazing in this movie. Astounding. 

He died within the first 30 or so minutes of the movie's opening credits. 

Special mention to another "sequel" Clear and Present Danger.
For one line: "By being a sneaky bastard, sir." 

Actually the story is excellent too. With Willem Dafoe playing a good guy. Which doesn't happen often.

The three Chronicles of Narnia adaptions
Brought the magic of the books to life. 

The Patriot
I lived in that movie for the whole time it played. Mel Gibson's character was brilliantly written. 

The Replacements
A lot of people missed this one. It's a football movie about a random bunch of guys having to get their team into the Superbowl because the pros went on strike. 

It's sort of a comedy, but actually really deep. With a buddy story as the whole replacement team needs to learn how to get along with each other. And they are from EVERY walk of life. 

And... 

"At first I was afraid... I was terrified." 

Okay no. It's too good not to show. 




Made my day when I saw it again. Probably my favorite random scene.

So. What're your favorite movies and why?

52 comments:

  1. All favorite movies of mine! I could've done a top fifty and still not caught all of them.
    Thanks for participating in my blogfest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I adore movies, so it's hard to just pick a few.

      Delete
  2. Ledger was amazing in The Dark Knight.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah he was. I must say that, although I love The Dark Knight, it will also be bittersweet for me. It's said this movie is what put him on the road to his overdose.

      Delete
  3. Ah, I also thought on Hunt for Red October. It was a wonderful movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're feeling better!

    I'm psyched to see The Hunt For Red October on someone's list. My entire family loves that movie, and we can recite it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha we didn't own the dvd for long enough, but soon we might be able to recite it too.

      Delete
  5. Haha, love the clip. I haven't seen Unstoppable and now I'm really curious about it.

    Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth a watch. An excellent example for writers who want to see what writing high stakes looks like. :-)

      Delete
  6. Tombstone! Haven't seen that one in ages but I remember it was excellent. Love seeing a movie mentioned in this blogfest that I haven't thought of in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I love Tombstone. Val Kilmer was amazing in his role.

      Delete
  7. Hahaha! "Pain is temporary, glory lasts forever and chicks dig scars." I love The Replacements! Excellent movie choices. :D Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too. So much so that I really really want to watch it since mentioning it in this post.

      Delete
  8. I got to see Hunt For Red October in the theater -- a packed one, with an audience that oohed and ahhed at all the right times. I'll never forget that experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I'm very envious. I think it came out before I was born. Or when I was a baby.

      Delete
  9. Love your list! all beautiful movies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved The Replacements! I know nothing about American Football (being from Australia) but for some reason this movie and Remember The Titans are some of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I'm from South African (so no rugby talks for us). In fact, it really makes me want to learn the rules.

      Delete
  11. Untouchables? You're a girl after my one heart. Inception is a great choice as well. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better!

    Inception and Dark Knight are awesome movies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never like Unstoppable, either one, i.e. the snipe on either. But loved the replacements and lol I was so glad when Seagal died too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha then Seagal died in Executive Decision was an awesome moment in action movies. Literally had me going "whaaaaaaaat?!" when I read it the first time.

      Delete
  14. I have Narnia on mine too! Your list has some I've never heard of - I might have to check them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Inception and Hunt for Red October. Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Misha,

    Your movie choices are awesome! One of my favourite movies is "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". I liked the refreshing ideal that the aliens were our friends.

    Anyway, most importantly, Misha is that you're feeling better.

    Kind wishes,

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I've never seen "Close Encounters". Really should.

      Delete
  17. Aww, I still haven't seen Voyage of the Dawn Treader! I love that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you liked the first two movies, you'll love it.

      Delete
  18. OHMIGOSH, I heart The Replacements!!! That scene in the bar while Every Breath You Take is playing = SWOON! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad you're feeling better Misha. Stomach bugs - eek! Loving some of your choices.... Doc Holiday is a superb character and one of Val's best performances I'd say. And oh my The Joker - But
    I love all of the last three Batman movies. My hub is a pilot and actually met Willem Dafoe on a flight. They shared a chat and he is very short and very polite, softly spoken. Both surprised me. Great choices. Mine are at my blog. :)

    shahwharton.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have to see the last time. Got busy and missed it in the movies. :-/

      Delete
  20. You just did a great reason to watch The Untouchables again. ;) I rewatched the Hunt for Red October a month ago, and I can say it's still a great classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I rewatch these classics often. They're ones that will remain good and timeless, no matter how many times I watch.

      Delete
  21. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Enjoyed your top ten movie list. I've seen several of the movies you selected.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that line from Sean Connery in the Untouchables. Classic, and such a great movie. Inception is a movie I need to finally sit down and watch.

    Enjoyed your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, you're missing a lot if you don't watch Inception.

      Delete
  23. Yay for The Dark Knight! Best bad guy ever.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A thrilling list! I definitely enjoyed Dark Knight and Inception.
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been skipping trailers and vid clips because I want to visit as many participating blogs as I can, but this one I had to watch. I love that scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's brilliant. Gives me a happy feeling every time I watch it.

      Delete
  26. Narnia...wowwwwwwwwww I love Narnia, one of my all time favorites :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Probably my favorite movie adaptions of a book series.

      Delete
  27. Some great movies in this list! The Dark Knight is prob my fave here.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Just dropping by from the blog hop. While our lists don't overlap, I have much love for the Chronicles of Narnia adaptations. I think they've been brilliantly done so far. :3

    ReplyDelete
  29. Inception and Hunt for Red October are def. two awesome movies that I'd count into my top mix! Nice choices!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.